Sustainability at the RCGP Annual primary care conference & exhbition
The conference is working towards limiting its impact on the environment through careful consumption of energy and resources. This includes, among others, electronically circulating meeting materials, not producing unnecessary conference materials and choosing environmentally-friendly and socially-friendly products, as well as providing healthy food and hosting meetings and social events in central locations.
Maintains a zero to landfill status
Hand-sort all of their waste for recycling and, wherever possible, 100% of waste is recycled and reused.
Has installed 925 photovoltaic (PV) panels on the roof, allowing them to generate its own renewable energy for the next 20 years and significantly reduce their CO2 emissions.
Uses LED lighting across the campus
Collects rainwater on the roof of the building, accounting for 40% of the water used for flushing toilets within the arena.
Has an energy watch team who ensure energy usage is effectively managed and all wastage is monitored and curbed through staff education and feedback.
Equipped kitchens with food waste trackers. This means up to 55 tonnes of waste are diverted from landfill every three years
Leftover food from lunch bags is donated to the local homeless network where possible.
Cylinders from fire extinguishers across the campus are recycled and their powder is turned into fertiliser.
Generated over £1.8bn in economic impact to the local economy since opening in 2008.
Facilitate clients to donate left over items from conferences and exhibitions to local community groups.
Unclaimed lost property items are donated to local homeless charities on a quarterly basis.
Secure bicycle parking on site.
Provide clients with environmentally friendly preferred suppliers.
– The hotels and social events are all located on the event campus or in the city centre and you can walk between them all.
– The venue provides waste separation bins in the conference area.
– We are using reusable crockery instead of disposable coffee cups at the conference. At very busy periods, we may make use of single-use paper recyclable cups to manage demand. These are 100% compostable.
– For a number of years we have been providing facilities to refill water bottles. This year we will no longer supply single-use plastic water bottles.
– Printed materials are kept to a minimum. We have reduced the printed programme book down to a fold-out pocket guide. The full conference proceedings can be found on the conference app. We will continue to offer a pocket guide at registration, for those who want one. However, we will be steadily reducing the numbers ordered each year. We also reuse (handing out unmarked returned copies to delegates) and recycle all returned copies of the pocket guide.
– All marketing materials promoting the event are conducted electronically.
– Conference registration is entirely online, and booking confirmations are electronic.
– Conference bags are made from recycled plastic bottles and the bags are recycled by the bag provider.
– Conference delegate badges made of paper (FSC certified) and no plastic badge wallets are used.
– We reuse conference lanyards.
– We are working with sponsors and exhibitors to minimise materials they, or delegates, dispose of whilst at the conference.
– Please make sure to deposit your lanyard and badge in the reuse boxes provided at conference registration.
– Please follow the waste separation instructions at the venue.
– There will be water fountains at key points, please bring a reusable water bottle with you.
– If you are happy with just using the conference app, please don’t take a printed copy of the pocket guide.
– Be thoughtful about all conference-related printing that you do, and aim to reduce this where possible.
– The venue is located in the city centre, all hotels and social venues are located by walking distance from each other – walk and explore the city, use public transportation or the city bikes instead of taking taxis.
– If you can’t avoid flying, please note that there are excellent bus shuttles running from the airport to the city centre.