Stephen Dorrell, Chair, NHS Confederation
Stephen Dorrell was a Conservative MP in Leicestershire for 36 years, firstly for Loughborough from 1979-1997, then for Charnwood from 1997-2015, retiring in March 2015.
His parliamentary career included two years as Secretary of State for Health in John Major’s Cabinet and four years as chair of the Commons Health Select Committee.
See Stephen Dorrel on the NHS Question Time panel, 9.30am Friday 5 October
Stephen Dorrell’s parliamentary CV:
- 1979 – 1997: Member of Parliament for Loughborough
- 1997 – 2015: Member of Parliament for Charnwood (following boundary changes)
- 1992 – 1994: Financial Secretary to the Treasury
- 1994 – 1995: Secretary of State for National Heritage
- 1995 – 1997: Secretary of State for Health
- May 1997 – June 1997: Shadow Secretary of State for Health
- June 1997 – June 1999: Shadow Secretary of State for Education and Employment
- 2010 – 2014: Chair of the Commons Health Select Committee
- 2015 – present: Chair of the NHS Confederation